How to start...
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

11-11-2009 05:05

Posted by:
Jimm

Click Here to Email Jimm   Find more posts by Jimm

So this isn't really a games programming question, more of a general programming question.

In essence, I want to know what it's like to start a computer system from scratch. To start out with just a monitor, processor, memory, hard drive, and input device, and eventually make it to what we have here right now. If possible I'd also like to know the theory surrounding hardware, and HOW EXACTLY a seemingly lifeless circuit board deals with a bunch of 1s and 0s.

My current goal is to figure out the machine code for a very simple processor, and begin creating my own operating system on it from absolutely nothing. The only trouble is I don't really have access to a simple processor. :/ Are there any emulators of any sort on the internet that would allow me to do any of this?

This is all coming from a strong desire to be able to fully KNOW what I'm doing here. With the vast size of computers nowadays I feel quite alienated from technology, and with how abundant it is I don't really think that's a good thing.

11-11-2009 10:18

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Me again...

You should just move to Hertfordshire mate, it would be quicker!

I've sent you a mail that I hope you find useful.

Talk to you soon (undoubtedly!)

Danny (nod the mod)