The capability of software tools.
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

08-10-2005 06:19

Posted by:
appleide

Click Here to Email appleide   Find more posts by appleide

If I want to make a strategy game thats like age of empires 1 or warcraft 2, or starcraft, would tntbasic be enough? I tried learning some other tool, when I knew how it worked, I realised it wasnt capable of making different objects moving simultaneously...

08-10-2005 11:39

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Yes it is, more than capable in fact. You could even have it run with a network play mode!

It supports maps, sprites, buttons, scrolling views in windows, all the stuff you'd need to get going.
You're best bet is to download it and have a play, there are no RTS examples, but Mark Tully (the original author) posted a few examples of scrolling round maps, they can be found here. They contian well commented source code to get you started. You can also download a complete .pdf version of the manuals here. There are various other examples given as source code and compiled apps in the directory section.
If you need any help there are always people watching the boards, so post to 'Programming Q&A' and someone will be able to help you out.
TNT will be free as from the latest version (1.3, due very shortly) and is also going Open Source, so there was never a better time to start learning this powerful and easy to use language.

Have fun!

Danny (nods)