forums

TNT Basic Forums > Beyond Basic
When TNT's open source, who'll work on it?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

08-25-2005 22:35

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

Hi, i just wondered who here intends to work on TNT when it's open source, and what you're planning to add.

Personnally, i've been learning a lot of C++ recently (not quite hard i'm already used to Java and C) and i've been making an OpenGL 3d engine i plan to use to make games - if nobody with more experience than me vonluteers to add 3D to TNT i could maybe give it a try

it'd be nice to have an overview of what new features we could expect to see added to TNT and how many programmers are willing to help ;)

08-25-2005 23:48

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

I'm in!

Hi Mathew, good post. I've been working in C for over ten years now, and prior to that I used assembler, and the Atari version of the language that started TNT off. I'd really like to see a bit more low level stuff in there, like in the STOS / AMOS days (that's the PEEK / POKE stuff for anyone old enough to remember it)! It's a doddle to put in, but it would give so much more freedom.
I'd like to have a go at the graphics engine, 2D at present as I think it's wiser to consolidate whet we have before we move on, but I feel there is definite room for improvement. Maps could do with a bit of a shake up, the IDE needs an overhaul, and of course it is screaming out for better Tiger integration. I'm just itching to get stuck in, and I'll go where I'm needed; end of the day, I'm in!

Come on then people, sign up...

Danny (nods)

08-28-2005 07:20

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Find more posts by Jae Rune

I'm not really going to be any good for codemonkey work. I'm too unreliable. But I can test and supply ideas. Such as the idea I've had for making networking that much simpler: Network Variables. A variable that, when updated, it automatically updated across the network. Basically, TNTBasic would reserve a port (changeable from program to program) for a basic data queue. When data is updated internally, TNTBasic sends the code automatically to the data queue. Now, granted, this is nothing spectacular, but it certainly makes networking that much simpler for everyone using the end-product. Instead of having to worry about hefting the network code themselves, the game just sends it off on its own to any other connected client. That way, the user only has to worry about retrieving the appropriate variable, rather tha worry about having to set up network code, encapsulating the data, sending it, retrieving it, decoding it and employing it. The whole thing is automated by TNT itself.

Just an idea. Bash it against the wall, lads, see if we can't make it a better concept.

08-28-2005 07:27

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Hey... what do you know... TNT Basic already does that. I should read the documentation...

08-28-2005 08:37

Posted by:
allnodcoms

8)

Ever wished you could remove a post? ;)

Danny (nods)

08-30-2005 14:27

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

uo to now it's not a lot of people O_O i guess allnodcoms could do a great job with the 2D graphgics engine, implement transparency in tiles is the thing that lacks most! 3D is no priority for right now, anyway i still hope someone else will do it because i'd have a little hard doing it as i've always had a lot of problems getting into someone else's projects and i've never worked in so big projects - probably divided into many part also, never done that either ;)

However i think i have some required «theory» to do os-X compatible inputs, however not having any kind of joystick/game pad it'd be a little hard to test :P

do you think we could get more developpers (and if possible a few more experienced than me :P) in? allnodcoms can't do it all alone ;)

08-31-2005 06:57

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Yeah, sometimes I wish I could delete a post. :D

08-31-2005 21:36

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Yeah, you should not really bother about 3D, TNT is meant to be a simple language for beginners, moreover making a good 3D engine is something that would take just too much time-resources.

I think the main point is to improve on the stability and possibly on the performance on higher resolutions.

09-01-2005 09:54

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Typeless variables would be awesome. I wanna add 13 to banana!

09-05-2005 13:26

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

I'm not sure you can add 13 to banana. A recent email suggests you can add 2 to 3 to your banana though.

09-06-2005 22:51

Posted by:
allnodcoms

You could always try

'banana=abs(cumquat/pomegranit)^aubergene' (doesn't work under Tiger)...

Hope this helps...

Danny (nods)

09-10-2005 15:13

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

My request would be for a more powerful IDE with autoindent and perhaps autocomplete.

09-12-2005 12:25

Posted by:
Jae Rune

I still demand 13 + banana. And I wanna find the cosine of squid.

But on a more serious note: I do believe typeless variables are a good way to go. A lot of people claim that typed variables make a program somehow more stable, but I find that in the long run it saves lengthy conversions such as "print str(a)" and "print val(a$)" etc etc.

Maybe we should look at merging TNT with Extreme Basic. A UK + Aussie joint faction, with total US domination.

Go-go-burying REALbasic!

10-29-2005 18:17

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Quick Note: TBOS is what I call TNT Basic Open Source. For I am lazy.

Howdy. Been thinking about it, now that I've really gotten to sink my teeth into TBOS, and I figured it out: I'd really love to see something along the lines of a mutli-file source code ability. Maybe use XML (or the original bastard XML that had no actual format and was a god to all) in some small way to define the resource bundle, but allow the programmer to create sub-documents of code so that it's easier to keep track of the code by break-down. Nothing fancy. Maybe just:

<DOC TYPE="TNTBASIC13">
<PROJECT>
<FILE NAME="MAIN">
Source Code For Main Goes here.
</FILE>
<FILE NAME="SUB ROUTINE">
Source Code For Sub Routine Goes here.
</FILE>
</PROJECT>
</DOC>

While GOTO and Procedures handle a lot of code flow, some of us are just used to "this code does this, and has nothing to do with that and therefore while it COULD be placed in that file, to make future revisions easier, I'll just toss it over into its own file and include it myself". Frankly, my first "real" programming language was REALBasic, way back in the day when it was CrossBASIC, then FYIbasic, then REALBasic. I got used to breaking my code apart to be examined individually. While I love TNT, it still feels like spaghetti code to me.

TB is a great language with a ton of power, but it's still just an entry-level language in a lot of ways. It's got a lot of the resource handling I've come to rely on in PHP, but is missing some of my revered flexibility. While I can get on with defining variables at the top of my code and functions, and while I can get on with having to deal with typed variables, I do find I miss breaking up my code into intelligible chunks for micro-management.

All-in-all, it's just something I'd like to see. I'm trying to come up with ideas that appeal to more advanced programmers while not leaving the new-comers in the dust. I'm one of those people that remembers what it was like coming up, and the difficulty I had in transitioning from HyperTalk to REALBasic to C to JavaScript to PHP. I think TNT can be a good platform for getting people otherwise lost to programming interested and involved, without throwing them concepts so alien as to leave them completely and utterly confused.

Just my 2¢.

10-30-2005 09:52

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

This type of functionality has been on my TODO list for ages. I was thinking we could add a separate tab called libraries or something, and then you could add extra TB priojects to it as subprojects.

All resources, and procedures would be callable from the main project. This would mean that you could easily reuse sprite banks etc between projects, as well as code.

Mark

10-30-2005 18:19

Posted by:
Jae Rune

That sounds perfect, to be honest. I was thinking of a pane along-side the code window that would allow you to quickly choose between the various sub-sections of code. If making the sub-code link to other projects makes it easier, then by all means. I kinda figured you could just have multiple instances of the code in a single file, to make it tidy.