Being able to build games for Windows
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

01-15-2006 02:23

Posted by:
KungFuFurby

Find more posts by KungFuFurby

This is only a suggestion. I'm thinking that without using another application games should be able to be bulit for Windows. There should be an option when using the build function to tell TNT Basic to build for either Mac or Windows should there be one.

01-16-2006 22:18

Posted by:
Stu

Click Here to Email Stu   Find more posts by Stu

Windows compiling would be nice. As it stands now, I have no cross-platform compilers, so when I want to have a game on both, I have to make heavy syntax modifications. Although, I can't say I know how well it would work with TNT using Mac resource files and all (don't know if that would be a stumbling block or not).

01-16-2006 23:11

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

the latest version of TNT doesn't anymore use mac ressource files - to be able to make games run on windows, i guess what would be needed is someone to write a Windows runtime for TNT (well i made it sound easy but it's not really as easy as that!) or modify the actual TNT source so that it's no more dependant of any system ressources. i guess the second option is the best

of course if you want to be able to have Hieroglyph and make the game on windows then it would be harder i believe because Hieroglyph would have to be ported too

i believe another option could be to generate Java code and compile it with JavaC, making a little nice archive that would run on Windows, Linux, Mac, Solaris and pretty much all other Unix systems. TNT and Java have approxiamately the same execution speed so i guess that it could work

in fact i'd like more experienced programmers to answer on this one ;)

01-17-2006 16:16

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

OK, here's the deal...

A windows port has been on the cards for some time, but don't hold your breath on this one.
Mark and I were talking about compiler options, and he was suggesting that TNT could export to C/C++ code which could then be compiled by GCC via script. If this was done, a Windoze option would be a simple case of building the exported code on a Wintel box against the correct libraries, or through CodeWarrior set to build for Windoze. As Mathew said, Java could be an option (it's not that different from C++ after all) but the speed issue prevents this from being the primary target.
A total Wintel port of the runner engine and editor is possible but not (IMHO) desirable at this time. There are lots of PC titles out there which already handle this sort of thing, Blitz, DarkBASIC, GameMaker 6, the list goes on, and I don't think they need another one just yet... but we do, so let's get the Mac version running properly first.

Finally, Apple has already released its first Intel powered units, and only time will tell how popular this move will be among the Mac faithfull. If we stick with the new processors then TNT will eventually be building Intel code anyway, so I see no need to leap into bed with the Micro$oft community before it is absolutely necessary. It is true that that the Wintel market is a far larger one, but this also introduces far larger competition, and I'd rather be a big fish in a small pond than the other way around...

Well that's my two penneth. Whilst I'm not against producing Windoze games on a Mac as such, I'd much rather see us producing good Mac games on a Mac.

BUT, at the end of the day, TNT is now Open Source and whilst its direction can be guided from TNT HQ, it can't be controlled. If someone out there feels strongly enough about this to actually get up and do something about it then best of luck to them, it's not a terribly difficult thing to do, just not something I'd even think about at the moment.

Anyone else want to have a say on this?

Danny (nods)

01-17-2006 18:17

Posted by:
swagIT

Find more posts by swagIT

No offense guys - but I would rather see some of the previously discussed additions and features added before doing the Windoze thing.
For myself - I would like to see TNT being able to work with multiple windows.

cheers

barry

01-17-2006 22:50

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

of course

Windows is not a goal right now