Problem with sound bank
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

01-26-2006 18:30

Posted by:
JHVipond

Find more posts by JHVipond

I'm new to TNT Basic, with which I hope to create TV-style games for the Mac. I've begun coding an adaptation of the Secret "X" game from The Price Is Right, for which I downloaded sound files. I dragged the sound files into a sound bank, but instead of icons, I have things like "snd 128?". What am I doing wrong?

01-26-2006 19:18

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Known bug with sound

Hi JH, there is a known bug in the new sound resource format, what version of TNT are you running? If it's the new one, try using the old resource format (Mac rsrc files) and see if this solves your problem.
Take a look at this thread and see if it's the same sort of problem. If the icons show up when you drag them in, but vanish once you save and reload then I think we've found the problem. We know about it, and we think we know how to fix it, so keep an eye out for updates. This problem only effects the new 'bundle' format, not the old 'resource fork' format.

Hope this helps (at least a bit)

Danny (nods)

01-26-2006 21:22

Posted by:
JHVipond

Find more posts by JHVipond

Danny, I'm running version 1.3 of TNT Basic under Mac OS X 10.3.9 on an early-model G4 Power Mac. How long will I have to wait for a bug fix?

01-26-2006 23:27

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Hopefully not long...

We're on the case with this one, we think we know the problem so a fix should be available soon. If you want to use the old resource format (you get the option to do this when you create a new project) you can get on with your game, this issue is only related to the new 'bundle' format. You could also get on with things ignoring sounds 'till the fix is out, make sounds the last thing you do.

There appear, at the moment, to be only two people working on TNT (for various reasons) and we have to apportion our time to the bugs that have the highest priority. At the moment it is 'hardware mode' (if you've ever tried it you'll know why!), basically there is a workaround for the sound bug so its priority is lowered. But we will get there, and we'll keep you posted on the boards and in the news section of the main page so keep checking back.

Don't be disheartened by this, TNT is a great piece of kit but it's undergoing some radical changes right now. These changes are for the good of the system but we are having some 'teething troubles' with the latest version, they will be ironed out and we will get a better product at the end of it... Watch this space!

Danny (nods)

01-27-2006 22:43

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

> There appear, at the moment,
> to be only two people working on TNT
> (for various reasons)

yeah, i'd love to get working with it! If someday someone gets a XCode project done, i'd really like woring on it... i could be helpful at coding but linking everything together is a nightmare for me ;) i've just looked at TNT source code trying to figure out what goes where but have had little time till now... when i have time i'll need to study it!

01-28-2006 18:11

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

XCode support will be the next major step in the open source roadmap. For the forseeable future, we'll enable TB to be built from both CodeWarrior and XCode. This is necessary as CodeWarrior will allow us to support OS 8.6-OS 9, and XCode OS X PowerPC and Intel. There'll be two downloads depending on which you require. Eventually we'll drop classic support entirely, probably when we add the first feature that's OS X only!

Cheers,

Mark