"Getting Answers" on the Forum
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

07-21-2006 20:54

Posted by:
pseudoprometheus

Find more posts by pseudoprometheus

I came across this article recently and thought perhaps it would be useful to post a brief illustrated guide [on this website] along similar lines for asking questions on the TNT Forums. Might help to get things done faster. (I volunteer to make the guide, illustrations, and html so that it fits in a pop-up window, the link for which residing alongside the links for logging in, account info, FAQ, and Search ... or that is, if no one else wishes to do so.)

http://www.mikeash.com/getting_answers.html

07-21-2006 21:04

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

thanks for the offer, however i personnaly think it's not necessary. considering the small amount of participants, and the fact there is often less than one post per day, and everyone is very friendly, i don't reckon it's necessary.

however if someday the forum would be crowded with question then i think it could be helpful

07-21-2006 21:12

Posted by:
pseudoprometheus

Speaking of pop-ups and the forum ... wouldn't it be nice to be able to put all of your code behind a pop-up link when you were posting in the forum about a problem you were having? I say this because posting large chunks of code could be interpreted as rude, and could be rather time-consuming to scroll through, even though it's generally necessary if one wants to get to the root of the problem.

And yes, for security reasons, it would make sense to have a symbol next to the link indicating that it's a pop-up (kind of like the symbol in Wikipedia entries that indicate clicking on a particular reference will take you to a page outside of Wikipedia.org). Restricting the contents of the pop-up so it would only contain text, would generally be in order as well.

Just an idea, not sure if it's applicable with the current forum set-up. *shrug*

07-21-2006 21:33

Posted by:
pseudoprometheus

Good point, but at least the idea's sitting on the forums in case someone needs it in the future. ; )