Tang - Swim with the Fishes
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

10-04-2006 20:42

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Hiya, my first project with TNT. Called Tang with the Fishes. Cute fish, changes directions, shoots bubbles. First stage of getting into sprite handling and movement.

http://inhomecinema.hobby-site.com/tang.jpg

10-05-2006 00:11

Posted by:
appleide

Click Here to Email appleide   Find more posts by appleide

NIce! ;-)

10-05-2006 19:32

Posted by:
swagIT

Find more posts by swagIT

That's one sexy fish there! =)

10-16-2006 06:24

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Update

Bubbles now transparent, POP sound effect added for start and end of bubbles, POP is mapped in stereo to where the shot was fired from. Started art on Evil Fish.

http://inhomecinema.hobby-site.com/tang2.jpg

10-22-2006 22:18

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Update

Right, getting there,

Music added, level Map is now displayed, the starfish you need to collect are now displayed, generated directly from the Map data. Text for Lives, Score now displayed. Updated graphics a little, will leave the polishing for much later.

I want the Bad Fish to be caught in the bubbles and float off, rather than be "killed" as such. People play enough death games as it is, me included, cant get enough of BF1942! :)

I have refrained from adding the bad fish to the map as I want them to attack in waves. Rather than be set in position, although I like the idea of sea plants shooting spikes to make Tang's life more interesting, maybe one he can get entangled in.

Now that I got the hang of TNT, all code has now been tidied into Procedures.

http://inhomecinema.hobby-site.com/tang3.jpg

Bad Fish are next on the agenda, as are making the Starfish spin off the stage when collected.

I must say, I'm growing really like TNT. Its inspired me to re-look at several game projects I wanted to bring to OSX ten years ago! I am restraining myself from starting them! Tang must be finished first!

11-02-2006 05:51

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

HELP : Collision Detection

Hi, have a issue which I cant seem to get my head around.

I have an Open Map View Port on Canvas 1. I have sprites on both Canvas 0 and 1. Collision detection is only occurring between sprites on both canvases in the initial View area, any others that follow on a View Port Offset fail to be detected.

Any clues to why this may be happening?

11-02-2006 08:12

Posted by:
appleide

If my understanding is correct... You want sprites from different planes of existance to collide?

That can never be possible... ><

11-02-2006 08:13

Posted by:
appleide

Actually...

I just remembered from somewhere that... only things displayed can collide..

uh-oh... that is going to be big trouble for the game I am making...

11-02-2006 08:19

Posted by:
appleide

Work-around:

You should wait for someone who knows more before you try this:

set up multiple arrays, that records the position of each every sprite that you want to be able to collide.

then :

The following assumes all sprites have 40pixels height and width.

If positionx[sprite1currentlydealingwith] > positionx[sprite2currentlydealingwith] -20 AND positionx[sprite1currentlydealingwith] < positionx[sprite2currentlydealingwith] +20

(do the same for positiony[array]

Collision code goes here.

end if
end if

11-02-2006 08:19

Posted by:
appleide

Just remembered theres a "Sprite X" and "SPrite Y" command...
In that case, you don't need arrays.

11-02-2006 08:21

Posted by:
appleide

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&;aid=1461561&group_id=135906&atid=734242

According to this feature request... sprites collision working off the screen isn't even possible... :(

11-02-2006 18:38

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Collision

Well it appears to be a bug to me, as the detection is working in the first View before I start scrolling. So its not a multiple Canvas issue. The sprites are rendered and are appearing as I scroll. They are sprites, I have confirmed that the move command moves them as expected.

Its almost as though the sprite's detection area is actually staying in place as I scroll. That is, not moving with sprites as they scroll.

11-02-2006 20:32

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Collision

Just to clarify these are not off screen sprites that are causing the issue.

11-02-2006 22:53

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

do you perform sprite collision with the 'sprite col' command?

if so, it's probably a bug in TNT - though otherwise it may just be the way you handle scrolling

11-04-2006 22:23

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Collisons

Yes, I'm using Sprite Col. I also just tried a simple array check, to replace it, but that doesn't work either! Same thing. Also, I tried replacing the View Map Open with Canvas + Open View Port , this reproduced the same issue. So I am at bit of a loss right now.

11-04-2006 22:50

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

A bit of a fudge...

Hi Tim,

I don't know whether it's a bug or not, I'd have to look at the complete project to work that out. It sounds as though something is failing to update somewhere. One way to fudge this check would be to loop through the sprites and check the relationships between the hotspots. If you set the hotspots to the center of the sprite (easier to impliment the code) you could subtract the coordinates of one sprite from the sprite you want to check for a collision, if the absolute (ie un-signed) difference in the Y axis is less than the height of a sprite and the X is less than its width then you've got a hit. This method is also quicker than using sprite col as that has to check at byte level on the two bitmaps and their masks. You may have to tweek the values a bit, and remember of course not to check a sprite against itself, but it will definitely work whatever method you are using.

Give it a go and back to us if you still have problems.

Danny (nods)

11-04-2006 23:41

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

if the two sprites are colliding on screen, then sprite col should definitely tell they collided. So, it's either a bug, either you misused the command.

Please post the bits of code where you do the sprite col (or maybe i missed it?) sprite col is probably the command that people never seem to know how to use

for instance, you can't do:

if sprite col(5,6)
'...
end if

you need to do:

if sprite col(5,6)=6
'...
end if

the first one makes more sense to me, but TNT is TNT... for any further help please post some code

11-11-2006 20:49

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Resolved.

Not sure what the bug was, but revisited the code this morning and redid my array check, this time it worked. My logic must have been at fault last time round. Setup a mini Tang site for further updates.

http://inhomecinema.hobby-site.com/tang/

Next up the bad fish.

01-16-2007 21:36

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Update

Tang has progressed greatly, spent many hours on the holidays revising code and fixing some basic flaws with the design.

Start up display complete with music and animation, lives are now counted and Tangs collisions with the bad fish generate loss of lives, although this will be revised due to my non-death policy with this game. Fixed many collision errors and some other minor bugs. Now full screen, scrolling-detection bug reappeared, had to remove SPRITE COL commands all together. Fixed BADFISH triggers, vertical scrolling now activated. Started to revise level graphics. Bubbles you shoot now encase your foes and float them away. This has a nice feel about it, works well.

Created BUBBLE VISION which displays points and messages, this works fantastically and adds to the game brilliantly.

Need to start thinking about adding new foes like FISHING LINE, CRABS, WHALES, JELLYFISH, and a end of level BIGBOSS OCTOPUS, with long wavy tentacles.

Will add screen shots for you at the below link tonight.

http://web.mac.com/timshepherd/iWeb/InHomeCinema.co.nz/Tang/Tang.html

01-16-2007 22:17

Posted by:
swagIT

I am looking forward to seeing the finished or just plain playable product.
Looks Great!

cheers

barry

01-17-2007 04:17

Posted by:
appleide

That new title screen hooked me...

waiting for your game!!

01-21-2007 20:16

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Tang 0.6 Beta

Things are accelerating along quite nicely now, Jellyfish and Grabs are now working. Crabs walk horizontally, and Jellyfish float up and down, this added the missing difficulty I was looking for, levels now require skill and a little trouble shooting. Started adding different Tiles for the levels. Discovered animation. Starfish now blink, crabs walk, jellyfish wobbles.

I now have limited the number of shots you can fire to one, with the idea that you can collect a power ups to fire up to four. Thinking about adding a spread of bubble fire, and whirl pools to avoid. Some sort of key based door system would add another level to the game too.

Here's a screen shot of the new enemies.

Game is right on the button concept wise, its turning out better than I visualised. TNT has allowed me to create the game without really any major difficulties or limitations. Having no limit on the number of sprites is proving to be very valuable.

01-23-2007 03:15

Posted by:
appleide

Note the Speed Limit, however.

01-23-2007 04:31

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Speed

I did plan to reuse as many for next loops as possible from the start, appears to run nicely in window mode. Tested it with a level full of nasty's, hasn't missed a beat, should speed up even more when its full screen only.

In fact I've learnt so much doing this project, the next one will have half as many loops again. Keeping these down is key to keeping the game fast, also ensuring your IF statements are correctly structured so that TNT leaves the test as soon as possible, so further unnecessary steps or IFs are entered into.

My Machine is a dual 1.8 G5, so the new machines should run it fine. Has any one tested TNT under rossetta?

01-23-2007 04:34

Posted by:
appleide

Try my RTS. Although it has inefficient code to begin with.

01-23-2007 04:35

Posted by:
appleide

Btw, I get ~70-80 fps for 1280x800 in my RTS when there are no units. 180 fps at 640x480.

01-28-2007 03:39

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Mostly Armless

Started development of the Big Boss level, this will appear every five levels. Introducing Octo, one cool effect is that his evil red eyes follow Tang, his prey. He will move towards Tang, so you cant stay in one spot for very long. This all works well already.

Successfully implemented Octo’s health bar at the bottom, he flashes red when he’s hit and bar moves down. How many hits is determined by how high up you are in levels. I plan to have him become more aggressive as his hits get low. At the moment his arms are not yet animated, but thats next.

02-01-2007 23:08

Posted by:
swagIT

That Octo looks Great! Nice and sinister!

Great pace on your progress. Have you run into any speed/performance issues?

cheers

barry

02-02-2007 03:01

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

yeah I hit a wall when I changed to Hardware Mode, I started implementing ROTATE and making things look very cool, then I noticed in testing scrolling dies to a few frames a second, software mode runs sweet. So thats a bummer.

Had a few work mates test a few levels, the games not as easy as it looks. :) Octo owns!

02-02-2007 17:31

Posted by:
Hendo

Click Here to Email Hendo   Find more posts by Hendo

this game is gonna be really cool - can't wait for first release :)

02-10-2007 19:41

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Burst Bubble Shareware

Hiya,

Tangs moving along nicely, replaced the entire Scrolling routines and it now moves at twice the speed and real smooth, a complaint of the beta testers.

Finished the Save preferences and registration process.

My testers (work mates) like the game and have been instrumental in getting it finished. One designed the shareware logo and tune, another one has created original music for it , which brings me to a new issue. The files are small MP3's, like 500K, but when I import them to TNT it expands them out to a massive 5.4MBs! Whats the deal?

Any way, all is going well. All the above links are gone now, the new site for Tang is on my shareware label's site: Check out the new screen shots!

http://www.burstbubbleshareware.com

02-10-2007 20:31

Posted by:
swagIT

nice....very nice....

02-21-2007 18:32

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Update

Tang rapidly getting close to complete, eliminated all major bugs, many new features added. For more info goto http://www.burstbubbleshareware.com

I would like to offer TANG registration to those who have shown interest in Tang during its development in this forum. Also if you would like a BETA to play with and test for me, email registration@burstbubbleshareware.com. I will send this to you as soon as the levels are complete.

03-10-2007 18:51

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Tang has gone BETA

With all 40 levels complete now and major bugs squashed, I have released the game to several BETA testers and hopefully be on target for my 31 March release. Thanks to those who have volunteered their time to play test Tang!

03-11-2007 03:59

Posted by:
Jacob

Click Here to Email Jacob   Find more posts by Jacob

Hi Tim,

Here are some things I found that might be bugs...

On level 30 there is no blocking, though I don't know if you wanted this.

When I got gone on the Octopus Boss level an error occurred:
*** Runtime exception caught ***
Line# : 1345
Code : close viewport 1
Error : The specified viewport is not open
Fix it by closing the canvas first.

Once when I finished the Octopus Boss level this error came up:
*** Runtime exception caught ***
Line# : 404
Code : morayeel[morayeelcount,1]=1
Error : Array index out of bounds.

Are bubbles meant to push you through blocks?

The chasing fish vibrate while at the same x position as you.

Sometimes bad fish start too close to you.

If you press space before you move after you start the game the bubble goes left, not right.

Sometimes if you press space in the home screen, the screen turns black (with rising bubbles) and then returns to the home screen after ~2 seconds.

I got game over once and the screen turned black, and I didn't get on the high scores even though there were no current entries.

I pressed Q while in the game and got this for the main screen:

And the collisions could use some work, too...

03-11-2007 17:26

Posted by:
Jacob

More...

Don't always make a window when you run the game, do an if...window mode...else...graphics mode...end if

R button on the main screen comes in front of bubbles.

Scrolling is too slow, in hardware mode I get scrolling at 25 FPS (800 x 600) in a game I made, while running Tang I get only 16 FPS...

03-12-2007 00:24

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Hi Jacob, please send these reports to bug@burstbubbleshareware.com

Cheers.

03-12-2007 13:56

Posted by:
Jacob

I tried, but it kept sending me an error sending e-mail recipt.
I just sent you another one, this time I think it worked.

03-12-2007 20:32

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Thanks, that one came through, I think it was down for some reason. Tim.

03-18-2007 20:01

Posted by:
Hendo

Click Here to Email Hendo   Find more posts by Hendo

how much are you charging for this game? i'm not allowed to buy stuff on the internet but im really excited for this game anyway. What is the shareware limitations? don't make it a time trial...those piss me off...just do like a 1 or two level demo instead...cuz i really wanna play this game!

03-18-2007 23:54

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Hi, Im asking $9.95 US, mainly and attempt to recovers some costs, web site etc. It will work fully for the first seven levels, I hate time limited demos too! I will post the full version soon, I still have a couple of nasty bugs to fix. Click this link for more info, Tang Swim With the Fishies.

03-19-2007 18:48

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

BETA testing submissions close.

Hi, I have now closed the BETA due to pleanty of testers. Hendo and applepie are the last two. Cheers for your support, many thanks!

03-21-2007 15:45

Posted by:
Jacob

:S

I don't understand why you have 'Name: DEMO' and 'Code: DEMO' on the main screen. Could you explain?

03-21-2007 19:27

Posted by:
Jacob

Idea

Are you going to make a story? Like an animated screen? And a win screen?

03-25-2007 23:36

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Hi Jacob, the latest BETA should answer your question about a story line, the DEMO is just default when it discovers no PREFs file is present, when you register the Game you can type in your name, you can try this with the Key I sent you. Thanks, Tim.

03-27-2007 05:14

Posted by:
appleide

Tim, I've sent you some bug reports. Did you get them?

03-27-2007 21:48

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Hi appleide, didn't see any this morning, will check again tonight. Tim

03-31-2007 23:41

Posted by:
swagIT

Congrats Tim! Looking forward to seeing how Tang progresses for you....

cheers

barry

04-03-2007 23:18

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Tang 1.01 release.

Thanks Barry! Were at about 400 downloads so far. One bad review and one good one.

Tim

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24544/tang-swim-with-the-fishies

04-04-2007 09:36

Posted by:
appleide

Good luck with it, Tim!

04-04-2007 09:58

Posted by:
appleide

btw... have you considered putting your game on macgamefiles.com?

04-05-2007 00:47

Posted by:
Tim

Find more posts by Tim

Well it found its own way there, 200 odd downloads from there already!

04-12-2007 01:14

Posted by:
Jacob

Submit it to the OSX Page...