TV-style games in TNT Basic
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

11-08-2006 01:23

Posted by:
JHVipond

Find more posts by JHVipond

Since there are almost no Mac OS games adapted from television game shows*, I've decided to program a few in TNT Basic. I'm starting with the Secret "X" game from The Price Is Right. Some of my concept images can be found at http://wat.midco.net/jvipond/gameshow/macgames2.html.

*A certain hobbyist programmer did have a site with freeware Java adaptations of game shows, but that site is down indefinitely. Like him, I'm creating my games on a not-for-profit basis.

12-02-2006 01:59

Posted by:
JHVipond

Change of plans

Normally I wouldn't reply to my own posts, but ...

I have most of the code written for my Secret "X" game, but I'm having severe difficulty getting the program to run, even in text mode. Would another TNT Basic user like to receive my project file by email and tell me what I'm doing wrong? For the record, I'm writing these games on a not-for-profit basis.

In the meantime, I've begun work on a TNT Basic version of the 1990 series of Match Game. The host and panelists in my game will not bear any intentional resemblance to any celebrities known to me. I'm using questions from Punch Line, a Parker Brothers game from 1978 whose copyright should have expired by now, but I need six different answers for each question.

12-02-2006 02:11

Posted by:
appleide

Click Here to Email appleide   Find more posts by appleide

I thought copy right lasts 70 years... its the reason why Mickey Mouse is still copyrighted....

12-02-2006 03:53

Posted by:
swagIT

Find more posts by swagIT

you can email your .zipped project file to - barry at benwell dot com -

I will look at it

03-11-2007 11:11

Posted by:
Wil Hostman

Find more posts by Wil Hostman

Copyright

AS of 2000, anything post 1940 is retroactively protected for at least 70 years, or life of author +some amount, whichever is longer, EVEN IF THE COPYRIGHT HAD EXPIRED, unless specifically placed in the public domain by the author.

In the mid 1990's, it was 2 years for unpublished, 20 for published, and 50 for renewed-at-20. It has in fact changed since then. Thank-you WEDCo (Disney's parent company), MPAA, and RIAA.

So pulling the Match Game questions is a definite no-no...

And since 2000, copyright exists even if not explicitly noted, except when explicitly declaimed by either context or content. (In other words, if you post to a site that has a copyright notice on post pages, they do hold the copyright to what you posted jointly with you, as an implicit declaimation. If you specifically waive copyright, as I do below, that also exempts copyright.

The contents of this post are specifically not copyrighted, and I place them into the public domain immediately.

03-11-2007 19:53

Posted by:
JHVipond

I understand, although I wasn't considering using the "Punch Line" questions in a public release of Match Game in TNT Basic. As a matter of fact, I'm planning to do all of my game show adaptations on a noncommercial basis.

In another thread, I mentioned a TNT Basic tic-tac-toe project (a possible Game-in-60 tutorial?) that could be expanded to either The Hollywood Squares or Tic Tac Dough.