My little game, your impression
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

04-11-2007 12:00

Posted by:
Dosankos

Find more posts by Dosankos

Hello, this is a little project of mine I've been working on and off the last year. It is a work in progress and I'd like you to try it and share any tips about how I could improve it. Any suggestion welcome! Don't mind the graphics (as you can see they are all placeholders), I thought about spending my time writing the code instead of drawing, as the code beneath is more important at this stage (and besides I'm terrible at drawing). The music comes from Maniacs Of Noise (it's a freeware mod) and from a Benny Hill Show Theme midi file.

Hope you'll appreciate it and you'll take time to write me something,

Dosankos

Link: http://rapidshare.com/files/25423303/Game.zip.html

04-11-2007 19:02

Posted by:
JHVipond

Find more posts by JHVipond

It's a very good start, but how is the hero supposed to get the gloves from the woman in the shop?

04-12-2007 21:42

Posted by:
swagIT

Find more posts by swagIT

I like the interface set-up and the movement - really nice framework....

04-12-2007 23:50

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Great Job...

Menu interface is excellent, and I love the dialogue boxes... You could extend that idea to allow multiple input options (like Neverwinter Nights etc.), but you probably already know that eh? ;)

On the graphics front, I don't know if you're interested but this is a pretty good site for game sprites and background tiles. Might help you out a bit?

A few points:

"Push Scroll" would be a handy addition, being able to scroll the screen about with the mouse. You're probably doing it anyway, but thought I'd mention it as you asked for feedback.

A Map menu option or shortcut would be handy also.

If you are looking to make it less "8 Bit" looking in the future you may want to revise the movement routines, make them less tile dependant. There is a handy routine in the "Directory" (plug, plug..) called "Bresenham's mid point line algorithm" (OK I wrote it, but I'm not on commission or anything...) that might be worth a look. Check out the latest version with the animated character, again it might be an idea.

All in all a very promising start, it's got some very impressive features and I look forward to seeing it grow!

I wrote a point and click engine for a commercial title about 15 years ago so if you need any help or advise then drop me a line. Obstacle avoidance is a doddle, but path finding is a bit tricky in TNT at the moment because of the memory access and manipulation restraints (you can't currently create dynamic blocks / lists etc.) but I'm working on this for the next version.

OK, this is a good review... Keep up the good work, best of luck with the project and thanks for choosing TNT!

Danny (nods)

04-15-2007 19:43

Posted by:
Dosankos

Thank you for the time you took to write these replies.

Pond: getting the gloves is the main objective, do you want the 'walkthrough' (it's just a couple of steps) or just the solution to the step you are in?

allnodcoms: Thanks for the tips. About the graphic, I'd prefer to keep this style for now because graphic is not an issue yet as the code isn't complete yet. The push scroll idea is good and is now in my list of things to be done. The map will be done when I'm done deciding about doing a FF like map style (with a big world map and smaller local maps) or a Zelda style map. The movement routine is going to be rewritten in the future as it's just a placeholder, but when I'll do it I'll ask here for opinions! I hope you enjoyed the demo and if you have something else to suggest feel free to do so, you have my thanks.

04-16-2007 08:43

Posted by:
appleide

Click Here to Email appleide   Find more posts by appleide

Great work!!!

This is very impressive... I'd never have thought TNTbasic can do this...

04-16-2007 22:15

Posted by:
JHVipond

Find more posts by JHVipond

Getting the gloves

Dosankos: Yes, I would like to know how to get the gloves from the shopgirl. Other than that, I find your game interface very intuitive; I even figured out how to pick up the bone and give it to the dog.

04-16-2007 22:23

Posted by:
Jacob

Click Here to Email Jacob   Find more posts by Jacob

I won the game within about ten minutes from when it finished downloading.

04-18-2007 18:55

Posted by:
Dosankos

[Spoilers following]

After the dog is gone, you must go to the garden. Read the sign, then get inside the garden. After the scene a boy arrives, talk to him then split the party up (try going over the garden twice again for info on that). Get the boy alone and move him in the garden, get back to the other guy and get the key that fell from the girl. Open the locked door, pull the lever and go in the house above.

[end spoilers]