Set sprite colour in hardware mode
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

05-17-2007 21:05

Posted by:
Seterace

Find more posts by Seterace

I was creating a new project trying out the features in hardware mode when I realized that the 'set sprite colour' command doesn't appear to work the same way it does in standard graphics mode. Instead of replacing your sprite with a solid color, it kind of overlays the color over your sprite. It makes for an interesting effect, but it wasn't what I wanted to happen. Does anyone have any suggetions?

I've also tried taking an old project that used sprite coloring, but didn't use hardware mode, and changed it to operate in hardware mode. The same thing happens. But when it is in standard graphics mode, the problem does not occur, so it isn't just a problem with TNT...hmm.

05-17-2007 22:53

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

That may very well be true (anyone can confirm?)

However at this point it is not of much improtance because TNT is being rewritten from scratch so lots of bugs and limitations of the current version will most likely not appear in the new version - it will just take time...

05-17-2007 23:29

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Don't stop posting bugs though...

TNT is being rewritten, and it will take time, but the source code is there for all to have a play with if they get the urge. The rewrite is well under way, but please don't stand on ceremony and wait for it. There is a long established, functional version out there already, so let's continue to support it...

Danny (nod the mod) <- I got promoted!

05-17-2007 23:40

Posted by:
someone

Is the current code still supported?

It doesn't even work in XCode... perhaps you still have CodeWarrior though?

05-17-2007 23:40

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Still can't edit posts though... :(

As a fix, you could pre render the coloured sprites. You could either do this in an art package (Pixen is pretty good, and it's free!) or you could start in software mode, colour the sprites, paste them and grab them back, then switch to hardware mode and use the pre-coloured versions rather than the colour sprite calls. I must add that I'm guessing you can switch modes... I've never tried it.
It would be interesting to see if this works on an Intel Mac, hardware mode on the Intel machines seems to work just fine, even running under Rosetta. Curious.

Danny (nods)

05-17-2007 23:44

Posted by:
allnodcoms

I don't have CW, sorry...

Continued support depends on getting an XCode version running. Due to the time involved in getting TNT2 to press it may need to become a side project of mine. I'll mail Mark about this tomorrow, I owe him a mail ( sorry Mark if you're reading this, been busy...).

Danny (nods)

05-17-2007 23:51

Posted by:
someone

I once tried Mark's XCode project, and it used lots of absolute paths, pointing to like /Users/Mark/source/TNT/foo.c making the project pretty much useless...

05-18-2007 11:27

Posted by:
appleide

Click Here to Email appleide   Find more posts by appleide

It IS very interesting to see that hardware mode on Intel Mac works, for all practical purposes, flawlessly.