< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

06-10-2007 21:19

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Hi all,

Well the spammers seem to have found our little corner of the internet. We've not done badly really, considering the amount of time we've been live, but these things do happen. Mark and I are aware of this (you may have noticed that the threads don't hang around too long anymore!), Mark is doing his bit to zap bogus members and I'm on the firm with the virtual rubber (that's 'eraser' for you weird yanks! Don't want anyone getting the wrong idea eh? 8P).

I drop by daily, but due to work commitments and the ever present problem of 'real life' I might miss one. I am however, never more than arms length from an e-mail client. If it looks like I've dropped the ball on one these then feel free to kick it back at me, the addy is cryptically encoded ;) to the left of this post. Just drop me a line and a link and I'll rub like the devil!

Better put 'TNT' or similar in the subject though, don't want my spam filter to zap it eh? Be good you crazy cats!

Danny (nod the mod)

06-12-2007 07:53

Posted by:
appleide

Click Here to Email appleide   Find more posts by appleide

o_0... I come here everyday and don't see that much spam.

Here's a tactic that will almost always work:
Create a forum that guests can post in. (as a 'bait' forum)
all spammers will take it, and you just erase the posts there every day.

02-07-2009 22:43

Posted by:
JHVipond

Find more posts by JHVipond

The Russians are at it again

All of the TNT Basic forums are getting Russian spam again, and it seems that the Cyrillic text is being converted to Latin-1 gibberish. Can't Mark or Danny do something about this abuse?

03-02-2009 20:18

Posted by:
allnodcoms

I'm on the case... honest!

I'm doing what I can to keep the levels down, but I'm fighting a losing battle here at the moment. I can delete the posts, but the more I delete the faster they come back, and I don't have full access to allow me to block the posters.

I've sent a mail to Mark about this (he can zap the offending member) and we'll just have to wait and see what happens. It's a real shame that this has to happen, and I'll continue to zap posts as and when I can, but I hope you'll appreciate that it's a real uphill struggle to get rid of this much shit...

We will re-take our forums from the Ruskies!!

Danny (nod the mod)

03-02-2009 20:50

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Ok everyone, I've disabled two user accounts and deleted all the russian posts. Danny has nailed the rest. I'm going to have a think about what can be done to improve this situation.

Glad to see there's still people on these boards - and thanks to Danny for doing a great job moderating them!

Cheers,

Mark

03-02-2009 22:52

Posted by:
JHVipond

Find more posts by JHVipond

Thank you both, Mark and Danny. Is it possible for either of you to implement a mechanism by which we members may report abuse of the forums? Even better would be a CAPTCHA-based registration system for new members, if you don't already use it.

03-03-2009 02:29

Posted by:
allnodcoms

We're looking at security now...

Mark and I have talked about Captcha and it may well happen. These boards were set up in the halcyon days when forum spamming was something that happened to other people, we're lucky to have got away with it as long as we did. If you ever need to report an issue on the boards you can always get in touch with me, or Mark, directly - mail links are posted below our user names and we will always reply and do what we can to rectify the situation...

Thanks for sticking with us.

Danny (nod the mod)

03-03-2009 10:51

Posted by:
appleide

I'll explain my idea more clearly...

Our forum has several sections, right?

General:
Suggesions:
Beyond Basic:
Open Source

These sections requires users to be logged in to post.

Now, we create a new section:

Which people can post in as guests.
Guests would post their info eg. "Hi I'm xxx, I 'd like to register at this forum, with user name tom123, and email: mymail AT gmail DOT com" in the sticked "register here thread"

and admin personally approves and emails their passwords.

IMO this works because we only get new real users once every couple of months...

03-03-2009 10:53

Posted by:
appleide

And then we can make everyone a moderator in the Registration forum, to help delete spam posts that will inevitably collect there.

03-20-2009 23:57

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

After another (less severe) bout of spam. I've written a bit of extra admin code for myself and Danny so we can easily ban and erase all posts by a user in a couple of clicks.

Hopefully this will be sufficient to keep this forum going.

Cheers,

Mark

05-30-2009 18:10

Posted by:
pseudoprometheus

Find more posts by pseudoprometheus

Recaptchas!

Agreed, I think using a captcha system would be a good idea. Recaptchas would be even better. :D