help
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

12-10-2001 17:51

Posted by:
wheelshanna

Click Here to Email wheelshanna   Find more posts by wheelshanna

This program looks easy enough but the problem is that I am a complete beginner. This all seems very confusing and I am looking for either a book or a web site that might help me learn the very basics. The tutorials on this web site are great but I am still looking for something more basic. Any help would be great.
Thanks.

12-11-2001 00:33

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

Did you see our introduction to programming?

http://www.tntbasic.com/learn/help_frms/prog.html

As for other web sites, I'm not sure, there's www.iDevGames.com but I'm not sure how good this is for beginners....

Anyone else know any?

12-11-2001 11:09

Posted by:
Socrates

Find more posts by Socrates

Ah...

It's a shame computers are so bloody complicated these days. I learned to program on a BBC micro where most everything was text based and it was alot easier to work out the basics. There were some great books for learning to program on that.

It's a bit tricker now, even a simple language like TNT needs you to understand some fundamentals before you can really do anything. "Hello world" is a lot more complicated to achieve now than it used to be.

If you really are new to programming then the best advice I can give is to not run before you can walk. Write some very simple programs that just do one thing and see if you can learn to know wht to expect when you type in some code. TNT has a text mode which I remember thinking was a little pointless when I saw it, but it should be perfect for you, it's the closest thing to a BBC micro you can get, it's just a pity there's no text input commands.

The first program you're supposed to write when you start programming is "hello world". In TNT the program for this is:

Print "Hello World"

Type this into the code tab, then select Run from the TNT menu.

The print command prints the string (piece of text) to the screen. The quotes mean text, you'll notice the quotes themselves don't appear when you print. If you want to print a number or a variable (see later) then no quotes are needed (try it, print "3" and print 3 are the same).

Next you can change the text inside the quotes to anything you like (you're name, etc), and then you can try using a loop to make it say something 10 times (look in TNT help under flow control) or even keep saying it forever (that won't crash right guys?). Next you need to learn about variables and conditional statements (also in help). Then you can try making it say one thing when you press one button and something else when you press a different button (use if statements and loops and the pressed or poll commands (see input/output in help), this is tricky so it may take you a while to figure out, just don't panic.

Remember that you'll need to keep checking for key presses in a loop because the program won't wait for the user to press something, and if you just check once it'll be over too fast to notice if he has. That may not make sense now, but it will when you try it for yourself.

After that check out the TNT basic beginners guide, I think it is quite well written from a beginners perspective so check it out . It will try to move you quite fast, so remember to try and go at your own pace. TNT basic makes it much easier to do graphics than it ever used to be, but when I started out I didn't do my first graphic games till about a month or more after I first started playing around with code (of course, I was only 12 at the time).

12-11-2001 11:16

Posted by:
Socrates

Ah...

It's a shame computers are so bloody complicated these days. I learned to program on a BBC micro where most everything was text based and it was alot easier to work out the basics. There were some great books for learning to program on that.

It's a bit tricker now, even a simple language like TNT needs you to understand some fundamentals before you can really do anything. "Hello world" is a lot more complicated to achieve now than it used to be.

If you really are new to programming then the best advice I can give is to not run before you can walk. Write some very simple programs that just do one thing and see if you can learn to know wht to expect when you type in some code. TNT has a text mode which I remember thinking was a little pointless when I saw it, but it should be perfect for you, it's the closest thing to a BBC micro you can get, it's just a pity there's no text input commands.

The first program you're supposed to write when you start programming is "hello world". In TNT the program for this is:

Print "Hello World"

Type this into the code tab, then select Run from the TNT menu.

The print command prints the string (piece of text) to the screen. The quotes mean text, you'll notice the quotes themselves don't appear when you print. If you want to print a number or a variable (see later) then no quotes are needed (try it, print "3" and print 3 are the same).

Next you can change the text inside the quotes to anything you like (you're name, etc), and then you can try using a loop to make it say something 10 times (look in TNT help under flow control) or even keep saying it forever (that won't crash right guys?). Next you need to learn about variables and conditional statements (also in help). Then you can try making it say one thing when you press one button and something else when you press a different button (use if statements and loops and the pressed or poll commands (see input/output in help), this is tricky so it may take you a while to figure out, just don't panic.

Remember that you'll need to keep checking for key presses in a loop because the program won't wait for the user to press something, and if you just check once it'll be over too fast to notice if he has. That may not make sense now, but it will when you try it for yourself.

After that check out the TNT basic beginners guide, I think it is quite well written from a beginners perspective so check it out . It will try to move you quite fast, so remember to try and go at your own pace. TNT basic makes it much easier to do graphics than it ever used to be, but when I started out I didn't do my first graphic games till about a month or more after I first started playing around with code (of course, I was only 12 at the time).

12-11-2001 13:36

Posted by:
Socrates

Huh...?

Does clicking the back button always send your post twice or something? That's quite irritating.

12-11-2001 13:36

Posted by:
Socrates

Huh...?

Does clicking the back button always send your post twice or something? That's quite irritating.

02-09-2002 05:41

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

Click back three times to get back to before. Four to get back to the main list.

It's a bug in Forums like this. And with this one, you can't edit or delete your posts so it's even more annoying. But this is only a help board so it's not that important.

04-23-2004 22:43

Posted by:
Turner

Click Here to Email Turner   Find more posts by Turner

Input Control

I'm so very confused about Input. IT just says "let the user configure the controls", yet it never says how. I program in Java, which was nice and simple, but I wanted a Multi-platform game. How does one configure the controls on the Input thingy? :?