forums

TNT Basic Forums > Beyond Basic
Games beeing programmed in TNT: what are you up to?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

01-26-2003 19:50

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Hi, I wanted to make a thread to know what people are up to doing with TNT.

I started doing games with TNT say 70 days ago. Before I didn' t know much about programming.
I just finished a really cool game, my second, a sort of shoot' em up but very original and fun. I did the engine very fast, but to polish it it took more time. I' m gonna release it in days time. Prepare yourselfs, it REALLY ROCKS!! I'll post here the URL. I' m also starting a 3D game, a sort of 3D arkanoid. I worked out the engine, now I must get on with the game. I also must release my first game, a classic shooter.
My two games have both around 1100-1200 lines of code, I think it' s a nice measure.
What are YOU doing?

01-28-2003 07:32

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

I am creating a "remake" of an old obscure Atari 2600 game called "Fast Food" that was created by a now defunct company named "Telesys".
http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=173

My version is called "Eat It". Yes, the name sorta is an homage to Weird Al. And literally when I created the first (Now lost forever.. :-( ) version of Eat It! in Quick Basic on my PC it was a hit with my brother, sister and friends. So when I found TNT Basic I decided I HAD to make the game for real. And so I set to work on it.

It's coming along slowly. I am actually going to rewrite it from scratch since I don't like the mess my code has become, but the main structure is there. It just needs a little more story to it. More game flow.

The game will be LOOSELY based on "Fast Food" in that it will include a bit more.. nay, a LOT more than the Atari version had. But still remain true to the original concept.

I was hoping that I could track down the original creator and maybe work out a deal and but the rights from them and maybe port the original and put it in as sort of a hidden version. But since Telesys is gone and AtariAge.com hasn't seen them I'll probably never find the original maker. Unless I release it and they decide to show themselves.

As soon as I get a server back up and running and I get back into the whole programming mode I'll post a page about it with shots and such.

I just wish I hadn't lost my DOS version which was actually 100% complete. And my Alpha Windows VB version which was further from done than the TNT version is right now.

I even have the title screen graphic finished and am very proud of how it came out.

Ok.. I lied.. Here's some teasers. Keep them in the family.

http://www.nena.org/njnena/jsc_100/title.jpg
http://www.nena.org/njnena/jsc_100/about.jpg
http://www.nena.org/njnena/jsc_100/hiscore.jpg
http://www.nena.org/njnena/jsc_100/gameplay.jpg

Note the game is NOWHERE near finished. Graphics are not final. I am even thinking of making the game an exclusive 1024x768 or at least 800x600 res game. But only because I'm sick of watching LCD's try and "Scale down" to lower resolutions. PLEASE, Mark, make TNT able to run windowed! PLEASE! SOON! Thanks.

Although.. a high res Eat It! would be pretty cool to look at.. IF I could get some really nice graphics. But that comes last.

03-19-2003 21:40

Posted by:
Wil Hostman

Find more posts by Wil Hostman

I'm making some MegaTraveller character generation programs, outpout to text files.

It's easier than using C++ mostly due to ANY basic's easier string manip and memory cleanup.

I'm also slowly working on some educational games (Click on the map kind of stuff), but that is slow going mostly due to map conversion.

03-20-2003 09:07

Posted by:
matteo

hmm, it' s a long time since I' ve posted here...

Now I did some 3D games, nothing special but not so bad; Hmm, maybe I should say I started some 3D games, did the engine and all the challenging stuff, but then, when it comes to testing it, finding ways to improve it and balancing, I get bored and quit. I really should find some testers.
I' ll do a game of "Typhoon" or whatever it' s is name, that game you play in 2 on a table with a disk that floats on the table thanks to air, you must hit the disk with a thing and make it go in your oppenents goal. Should get cool.

Now I'm doing some math programming for college, and I really find it more challenging. I use a program called "R" that is slower than TNT but it handles arrays just like numbers; so you can do operationd without indexing it all. I' m also starting to learn C. Well, at least I think ;)

now what are YOU up to?
I' VE TAKEN OFF MY MAKE UP; LET' S SEE IF YOU CAN TAKE OFF YOURS...

Special prize to the first that tells me where this phrase comes from...

Matteoooooo

03-23-2003 09:40

Posted by:
matteo

Hmm... and now I' ve come back to Radical Rebound, of course it' s gonna be the best game ever on a mac; but, wait a moment, isn' t it already? Of course...

03-31-2003 18:27

Posted by:
BlueAvian

Click Here to Email BlueAvian   Find more posts by BlueAvian

I have been working with TNT basic for about a month now, but I am already started on a RTS. I have done alot of programming in the past, but I never finnished anything because I no one could actually show me how to use CopyBits and output graphics like that. So I am now making the game on TNT basic. I plan for it to be a really good game. The game will proably make is self know around summer.

04-01-2003 01:31

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

The makeup quote is from Batman I. What do I win?

04-01-2003 12:39

Posted by:
matteo

WE HAVE A WINNER!!

That' s right, mister! Your the lucky winner... hmmm... of a personalized Beta copy of my game "Radical Rebound II"!!!
If you want it, i' ll send it to you! Hmm, ok, maybe you would like the finished version... Ok, when I finish it (say a week or two), you' ll get your copy that will also print your name at startup.
Happy ;) ?

04-27-2003 01:33

Posted by:
Freefall

Click Here to Email Freefall   Find more posts by Freefall

Game in Progress

For the last while I have been working on a game in METAL which is similar to worms. Today I decided to try out TNT, see if its any good, and it looks cool, except for not being able to actually RUN any projects...
BTW, can someone give me an idea of how much faster/slower TNT is than METAL?

04-27-2003 06:55

Posted by:
eekaydee

Click Here to Email eekaydee   Find more posts by eekaydee

What do you mean you can't run your programs?The run command is under the menu with the dynamite picture. Cmd+R works too.

04-27-2003 07:47

Posted by:
Freefall

Nah I was having a problem where when I ran a program, it would fade into the black screen and hang. Occasionally it would also log out.
I solved the problem by turning off VBL sync in programs that I wanted to run. I spose my monitor doesn't support it.

04-27-2003 11:47

Posted by:
matteo

TNT is slower than MetaL in calculations, but , if you are not doing a chess game, those really don' t count a thing; in graphics it' s about as fast as MetaL, but you have easy cool stuff such as rotations, transparencies and scaling.

04-27-2003 23:16

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Speed

We're going to speed TNT Basic up loads this year... just you wait...

Mark

04-28-2003 09:30

Posted by:
matteo

:-)

:-)
After 6 months of heavy use I' m still pretty satisfied of TNT (version 1.12 fixed the out of memory problem on os 9 and is hence more stable), it' s great. Sure with some little extra speed it will get AWESOME!

04-28-2003 13:43

Posted by:
Machi

Click Here to Email Machi   Find more posts by Machi

There is no doubt that additional speed in all areas will be welcome. Although I think that TNT Basic is a great product as is, it doesn't take too much effort to hit the boundaries.

And there are some cool things that I would like to do that are just a bit too slow under the current version of TNT. For example, in an early version of Tinadel I was dynamically generating a fractal as the background for the game in progress. It actually looked pretty cool, and at least I've got some very useful little code snippets that I can use some time in the future. But the game became jerky in play, so I generated a regular background with Bryce instead (not that anyone appears to have played it based on the feedback that I haven't received - but enough with the bitter and twisted).

As you would also expect, apart from all that has been written in the forum about graphical performance and resolutions etc, performance also degrades when you have a large number of sprites on the screen. Now this doesn't matter for a certain class of game, and the stuff that Danlabs has done, for example, is unlikely to ever have these problems. However, for better or for worse, I'm not really interested in producing a better Lode Runner style of game - others are always going to be able to do that better than I can. I have design outlines for 4 new game concepts and am actively writing a 5th game in collaboration with TMAAZ, and all of these may run into performance issues of one kind or another with the current TNT version.

So ... I look forward to seeing what you guys are going to do performance wise, although many of the other issues and bug fixes that have been raised by me and others in the forum are obviously also right up there in the priority stakes.

Regards,
Mark

05-22-2003 01:18

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

I've put off Eat It! for a while until I get more practice.

Right now it seems my practice game is turning out to be a mighty nice final product.

It started as an Asteroids clone. The triangle ship. Shooting lasers and flying rocks. Now I've evolved it into something more advanced.

Features:
> Fly around space on a randomly generated at level start star field with a green wireframe grid to make it more cool.
> Lasers and Lock on Missiles.
> Lock on Box forms around closest enemy. Green when enemy is far away, red and throbbing when enemy is within 100 pixels.
Three sizes of rock.
> Energy meter and other on screen data.
> Speed up to 10 pixels per frame or move at 1 pixel per frame.
> Move in any direction (Multiple of 5 degrees. 10 if you hold shift to Turn faster.)
> Real time calculations figure out position, speed and direction of rocks and the ship and missiles and lasers.
> 30 FPS at 640x480. (Will go faster if I set to Max. I've had almost 45 FPS. Too fast. Besides, when more enemies are on screen it slows to 25 so 30 is fine.)
> The best darn ship explosion ever. I love it. I purposely self destructing the ship to watch it. :-D

What's remaining:
> Graphics. Maybe. Currently line graphics. Sorta like the Vectrex. Looks very retro 80's arcade-like.
> Intro screen, game over screen. Options. The whole 9 yards. ALl it is is the game now.
> Points system. Right now it's 10 points per hit. All enemies have 30 hit points.
> Smarter enemies other than bland rocks.
> Harder enemies.
> Rocks that break up and spawn other pieces to go after. (Like Asteroids)
> Engine flames like the arcade vector asteroids.
> Nice sounds. Right now I just have shooting and ship explosion.
> Music. Needs ambiend music.
> Missions. Including a grappling hook that you can use to grab onto an object. That will be cool.
> A better name than "Blasteroids".
> More stuff. Power ups. Etc.

05-22-2003 05:19

Posted by:
Freefall

If you want music, go to:
http://genres.mp3.com/music/genres.html

It has heaps of good music from small artists, theres some really good stuff there. Check it out.

05-22-2003 06:20

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Is it Royalty Free? I'd rather have royalty free background music. But the game's not done yet. I don't know what kind I'll need. Space music.

05-26-2003 08:37

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

As a break from my Asteroids like game, I decided to try and code a side-scroller. I based it on Super Mario Brothers 1. So far it's coming along great. It has some bugs in the collision detection when hitting a wall but it scrolls great. If I continue at this pace, I may have actually cloned Super Mario in a few weeks. Though, I'll probably just set it aside and forget about it once I run into speed problems.

I started on it when I tried to make my Asteroids game have a scrolling playfield and it slowed to a crawl. Now I'm bummed and stuck in a dead end. You need to speed this up ASAP!

Tomorrow I'll try a Zelda clone. That's much easier. One screen at a time.

05-26-2003 14:21

Posted by:
MapMaker

Click Here to Email MapMaker   Find more posts by MapMaker

Solarionne

I am making a space/turn - based game based on the old 1985 game for Mac "Solex". It had lot of bugs in it, but was very addictive, so I decided to create one of my own.
I have also had TNT for about 50 days, but I am a begginnner to programming, so I have'nt really got much done :/

05-27-2003 23:19

Posted by:
matteo

RR 3... is gonna shock the system...

Wow! I guess the new Radical Rebound will be TNT' s biggest projest (in term of lines of program)... I got to 4498 lines (the last 1400 lines in two days... ho... ho-hum...)!! Version 3 is coming, with the new RadRebPrefs library for fast square root processing...
get ready for the future of mac gaming...

05-28-2003 03:35

Posted by:
eekaydee

I hope you're kidding about the 1400 lines in two days...I haven't even typed half that much in months! My game is crawling...

05-28-2003 07:54

Posted by:
matteo

1400 lines in 2 days?!

Hmmm... actually I' m as amazed as you... the other 3000 lines were done in 4-5 months... I really did 1400 in 2-3 days, the day before yesterday and the day before, and some yesterday... it was quite easy but very expensive (in term of lines) code... well, it' s also ok code (at least for my standards) More, one of the 3 days was an amazing full day coding madness...

I' ve put 6 bonuses to RR, and a very cute interface with RPG sprites and beat' em up- like energy bars.

05-31-2003 13:41

Posted by:
anoved

Find more posts by anoved

Siege

I've just begun working on a game called Siege, in which you play a solder defending a castle from an attacking army. Its basically like space invaders (as far as gameplay), with one twist, which is that since your player is safe up on the castle wall, the enemies aren't shooting at you - they're shooting at the castle wall, which is a much larger target they are sure to hit (but much stronger).

I'm trying to keep a development log on my web site at http://wind.prohosting.com/anoved/cgi-bin/f3.cgi?a=viewthread&;n=357 so that I can keep focused on it. There's no screenshots or anything available yet, but you can read about what I've been working on.

It's good to be using TNT Basic again - I downloaded it and registered it 'back in the day' about a year and a half go, and started working on a couple different things, but then I got sidetracked by school and other things. Now its summer break, and I've got a specific plan for Siege. Hopefully I'll make some real progress!

06-01-2003 23:12

Posted by:
Zip

Click Here to Email Zip   Find more posts by Zip

Im working on a online space game, similar to Escape Velocity, and also a isometeric cyberpunk rpg.

06-02-2003 01:34

Posted by:
matteo

wow, pretty ambitious... but shouldn' t you stick to one thing at a time?

06-02-2003 04:53

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

I'd love to make my game Isometric. I'd probably have trouble with the whole placement thing. I'd like to see these two projects. They sound fun.

06-03-2003 01:09

Posted by:
eekaydee

I would also like to see how much you have done in the RPG...I am trying to make one too, but it takes forever. I haven't even gotten the battle system done...

06-03-2003 17:39

Posted by:
matteo

humph... If it' s not your full time job, making a RPG is a suicide.

Well, you actually can make one but you' ll have one of these problems:
1) It sucks
2) You lost your life on it

stick on arcade and have fun! If you really wanna make a RPG with a lovely plot and ambience stick on coldstone so you can forget about coding the engine, that, I think, is a nightmare.

06-03-2003 20:17

Posted by:
puffin

Click Here to Email puffin   Find more posts by puffin

hey matteo, is your full name Matteo Bittanti?

06-04-2003 01:53

Posted by:
eekaydee

Matteo-
unfortunately, I bought Coldstone after I tried it and loved it.

Then I realized that Coldstone was not right for me. Although it can be flexible, it takes a lot of work to make it flexible, and I just didn't want to have to go through so much work to, for example, make a battle system like Dragon Warrior's or use the keyboard instead of the mouse.

And I am having much more fun trying to do it with TNT than I did with Coldstone, even though it probably will suck and have a horrible plot. The thing is that I will have made my own RPG with my own code.

06-04-2003 05:42

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

I didn't know Coldstone generated good plots for you. I may need to take another look at it.

06-04-2003 10:03

Posted by:
matteo

>And I am having much more fun trying to do it with TNT than I did with Coldstone, even though it probably will suck and have a horrible plot. The thing is that I will have made my own RPG with my own code.

OK, that' s a good point ;-) making games for yourself is always cool, and I guess to make a (although trough) RPG engine is a great satifaction. Though it' s too much work for me...

>No, I' m not matteo bittanti, who is that?

06-04-2003 16:00

Posted by:
puffin

Click Here to Email puffin   Find more posts by puffin

Matteo Bittanti is a writer for Ludologica.com, an italian ludology website.

06-13-2003 16:49

Posted by:
matteo

RadicalRebound v3 is coming, and it' s gonna show the world what TNT Basic can do...
20 amazing bonues...
Awesome multiplayer...
Kick ass interface...
it' s gettin better than pop-pop...

05-25-2010 02:52

Posted by:
JHVipond

Find more posts by JHVipond

I'm still trying to port classic television game shows to TNT Basic. At the moment, I'm working on Super Pay Cards!, a Canadian game show from the early 1980s, because TNT Basic doesn't seem to support external data files (the user guide apparently assumes Mac OS 9).

I've figured out how to analyze and compare two poker hands, but how does one turn cards face up and face down? I'm using the "sprite priority" command rather than "sprite off", because if a player rejects a face-up card, it should revert to the numbered card back. I can send my current source code to anyone willing to help.